Saturday, February 26, 2011

WEARING MY BIG GIRL PANTIES!


I first must say I took myself off of sugar starting Valentine's Day, not a smart time to do so, I might add. Well, the kids received their Valentine's package from Todd's grandmother. Inside the package was a little box of Russell Stover chocolates. They were staring at me ALL week!!!

So finally on Friday I treated myself to one chocolate with caramel inside! I figured I deserved it for my well behavior all week. So as I was eating this little treat I felt something hard while I was chewing. I opened my mouth to spit out the chocolate and discovered my metal filling. I immediately threw the chocolate away and started stressing about my tooth.
You see, I am PETRIFIED of the dentist! I have had so many bad experiences at that dentist, that it would take too long to explain. So now, I knew I had to go! I first called my stepdad to get an antibiotic for any infection I might have or incur while missing this filling! I couldn't get in with the dentist until Tuesday.

So my appointment time was 3 and I was on my own! Can I just say I hate the way dentist office smell, it makes me sick to my stomach. So I am sitting there filling out by book of paper work and they call me back. As I am walking back I start to choke up! I get seated in the chair and the nurse can tell I am nervous, because she asked if I always sit on my hands.

She takes the pictures and I see the mess of my tooth on a computer screen right before my eyes. I again feel sick! All I hear is the guy next me on the other side of the small wall getting drilled on! That sound is AWFUL!
The dentist I chose is quite a drive for me, but we know him through our children's dentist, who we are friends with. My dentist was Fred Flintstone at our friend's halloween party! So he comes in a of course looks totally different than what I remember him looking like!

He told me that he would try to replace the filling, but didn't know if I need a route canal. He went ahead an numbed me and left the room. As I am sitting there I start freaking out.... I mean really going crazy with my thoughts and fears. Finally, I just said to myself "YOU ARE GONNA GET A GRIP AND PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND DO THIS". You see I had no choice, I had to get it fixed. Freaking out was not helping, it was only making it worse. So I prayed and asked God to calm me down.

I took and deep breath and he came back in the room and started to work on my filling. He said that I conveniently did the majority of the work for him by losing the filling. He filled it and the procedure was down in 15 minutes.

You see I stressed all weekend and a lot that day on Tuesday about going and when it came right down to it, it wasn't as bad as I envisioned it to be. I knew it needed to be fixed yet wrestled with wanting and having to have it taken care of.

Finally, with all behind me, I realize God saying to me, once again, I told you to trust and believe that I would take care of this, even the smallest thing as a tooth. How often do I know I need to fix something but put it off because of it hard to do.....when in reality when I fix it or just complete the task, it feels so much better.

And that is one more way of conquering my fears..........with my big girl panties on!

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I am also so scared of the dentist, and I only go like every 5 years or so!

    ReplyDelete