Wednesday, January 19, 2011

SAYING GOODBYE IS NEVER EASY


I present you to you my Richmond "Security Blanket" Friend, Rebecca! When I first moved here, I moved from Roanoke, and all we heard leaving Roanoke, was that we were going to "murder capital". So I was petrified! Rebecca and her family moved here shortly after we did, and we met on their first Sunday as our children's pastor. We invited them over for dinner and then she kept calling me every day wanting to do something, like go out in the murder capital and explore. Little did I know that I would have so much fun with this girl! She is quick wit but gives such sound advice, with no overreaction!

Our friendship has grown over the past 6 years, with all that we have been through with each other. From raising our children, to working in women's ministry together, to cleaning apartments, to working out at the gym and Rebecca losing over 60 pounds, to middle school, jobs successes and losses, to deaths. Being there for each other!

Well, to top off my 2010 year, Rebecca and her husband Alan accepted a job in Frisco, TX as the children's pastor at Hope. You see, I had been praying that God would allow her husband to become a pastor at my church also called Hope. Apparently, I was not specific enough with God!

She has been my "security blanket" who I have held on so tight to. I have been so upset about her moving, yet I get what God is saying to me, "Let me be your security blanket". Saying goodbye is so hard, but I know that this is God's plan for their lives and mine too.

I believe God gives you friends or people in your lives for a season, and I have had to say goodbye to many friends in my past that were just there for a season. But I believe we are to glean from each other, strengths and weaknesses. I can say Rebecca has made me a stronger person, a little more thick skinned. She is one of those friends that stick with you for a lifetime!

I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to be called her friend!

1 comment:

  1. I cracked up when I read the part about the "murder capital." When Brad was considering the job here, that's one of the first things I honed in on when doing my research on Richmond. He, of course, thought I was being neurotic. I'm glad I wasn't the only one... ;)

    ReplyDelete